Thursday, September 4, 2008

LA Breakdown: Track 5- Asgard

Photobucket

Asgard was an interesting song. With an interesting story behind it. I was in the studio with writer's block and I wasn't sure where to go. So I told the producer, Chauncey, to play me something. So he played me this beat and I fell in love with it. I asked him what he heard in the beat and he replied that he heard some sort of superhero theme song to it. Well I ran with that idea and started writing what you guys hear now. I thought it was a clever idea that was executed pretty well and one of the songs I love listening to.

The thing about writing songs is I like to let the beat decide what will happen. If I can get ahold of the beat first I'm trying to listen to what kind of song it will end up being. With this one on the surface it looks like a bunch of superhero metaphors. Like the type of stuff that Lil' Wayne does where its a bunch of stuff just to kind of flaunt talent. While I don't think that's bad I think it's kinda easy. I even have a few of them on my mixtape but I find more pleasure in doing more with it. In this the superhero metaphors were actually expressing alot of different emotions I was feeling at the time cleverly written within the theme. I say this and it makes people want to relisten and get it but again I want people to get out of it what they want out of it. Again that is the beauty of music.



Download Late August

No comments: